Automatically create Office 365 spaces associated with Workplace groups to improve collaboration
Following the implementation of Workplace, Groupe Bel observed two issues:
- Workplace does not currently facilitate co-editing of multiple documents exchanged by a team on a group, and
- Office 365 is rarely used by employees, many of whom do not know about it and/or do not have a good command of the interface. And the process of creating an O365 group can be time-consuming and complex.
To solve for these two issues and promote collaboration on Workplace while keeping the documents on O365, Groupe Bel developed internally the “Botman” bot. Whenever a new Workplace group is created, the Botman messages the group administrator via Workplace chat to ask if they want an O365 group to link with the newly created Workplace group to encourage the intended collaboration. If the administrator answers in affirmative, Botman creates the O365 group with the same name, members, and confidentiality settings which it links to the Workplace group. It then posts the URL link of the O365 group on the Workplace group for everyone to know. Additionally, Botman can be reached anytime via WorkChat to submit a request to create an O365 group attached to a Workplace group created in the past.
How to do it in your organisation in three simple steps:
- Align technical resources (who have experience in working with APIs) either in-house or from a third party.
- Create a time bound launch plan and program manage it to launch. Technical documentation on bots can be found here.
- Create an exciting communication plan to announce the launch of this bot and a simple how-to video showing employees how to interact with it.
About Groupe Bel:
Groupe Bel is a global player in the healthy fruit and dairy single-serving portion snacking market. Its international development draws on a portfolio of iconic brands such as Laughing Cow, Kiri and Babybel, which attract customers all around the world. Bel produces and sells its brands to consumers in nearly 130 countries through its locations in over 30 countries and 30 production sites around the world. Founded in 1865, Bel is a family group with an ambitious and sustainable growth strategy counting 13,000 employees. More about the company here.