Share customer compliments with everyone
Customer Relationship Officers (CROs) at Airtel stores work hard to resolve customer queries/issues every day. Sometimes they go out of their way to help the customers, e.g., by opening a half closed store to serve an eager customer or by following up until the issue is resolved. As a result happy customers walk in with box of chocolates, flowers, or other gifts every now and then.
The leadership of Airtel’s retail business wanted to create a platform to enable CROs to share their stories of everyday impact with the broader team. Such a platform would motivate the CROs, give leadership visibility into everyday impact, and help the team with valuable field insights.
For a long time, the CROs used various personal chat platforms which allowed groups of up to 200 people (usually the membership limit of personal chat tools) to share such stories with their colleagues.
The problem was three fold:
- Such groups couldn’t accommodate their full cross functional team so their stories of impact didn’t reach everyone.
- Chat groups have a high velocity message exchange so if some more messages came on the group, the CRO’s story of impact is lost from view.
- It’s impossible to find any story even more than a few days old.
With Workplace, the retail team created a Pan India group, called ‘Customer Feedback’, which had all ~10,000 people in it. The CROs now share live videos and images when they have a happy customer. Live video allows them to share customer’s feedback in their own words. Colleagues encourage each other by reacting to the story and congratulating each other by commenting on such stories of impact. And when the CEO of retail business ‘likes’ or ‘comments’ on a story, it’s a huge motivational boost for a frontline CRO who earlier had no way to showcase their work to the CEO.
“Instant recognition is great. A CRO’s achievement is now visible to the entire team and takes the motivation up” – Circle Retail Head
How to do it in your organisation in three simple steps
- Create an ‘Open’ and ‘Default’, ‘Social’ type group which has everyone in it. Give posting permissions to everyone [Resources here]
- Encourage people to post stories of their everyday impact on this group
- Encourage others to react and comment on these stories to congratulate people. Get leadership to browse through this group once or twice a week to congratulate and motivate the frontline
Bharti Airtel (“Airtel”) is a leading telecommunications services company with operations in 17 countries across South Asia and Africa. As on Mar 31, 2018, it was the largest mobile network operator in India and the third largest in the world and serves over 413 million subscribers across its operations.
Airtel’s retail business operates in 22 circles (geographies) in India through a network of owned and franchisee stores. More about Airtel here.