Invite ideas from employees via a ‘Chairman Connect’ bot
Vedanta Chairman, Mr. Anil Agarwal, had envisioned to give every employee direct access to reach him and his leadership team to share ideas, feedback, and questions. His vision with this was to tap into the rich pool of ideas and experienced shared by employees and to make Vedanta an open and connected organisation.
Vedanta launched ‘Chairman Connect’ bot created by a Workplace product partner called Leena.ai. This bot allows every employee to go to their Workplace Chat, click on ‘Chairman Connect’ chat bot, and share an idea/feedback/question. The employee gets an interaction id for every interaction which they can use to check the status of their idea/feedback/question at any point of time. The shared interaction is passed to a defined company queue managed by the company’s PR head. When the interaction is closed with a response to the employee, a two question survey regarding the timeliness and quality of response is pushed to the employee through the same bot. Company’s PR head and his team is responsible to monitor the platform and to ensure a satisfactory response to the employee.
A monthly automated dashboard of the initiative’s performance is published and shared with the Chairman.
Benefits / Impact of Workplace
- Increased idea generation within the organization, scaling a culture of agility and innovation
- Improved employee engagement with every employee playing a role to drive process improvements
- Reduced distance between leadership and employees, making the organization more open and connected
How to do it in your organisation in three simple steps
- Align technical resources (who have experience in working with APIs) either in-house or from a third party such as Leena.ai, create a time bound launch plan, and program manage it to launch [Technical documentation on bots here]
- Create an exciting communication plan to announce the launch of this bot and a simple how-to video showing how to interact with it
- Define SOPCs for each business/department to own and satisfactorily close the interactions coming for their respective areas. Set up a weekly review rhythm to ensure that all interactions are appropriately closed and that incoming ideas are utilised to add value to the organisation. Recognise people whose ideas are implemented by sharing their names and ideas with everyone in the company using a company-wide Workplace group
About Vedanta Resources
Vedanta resources is a global diversified metals and mining company with interests in Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Aluminium, Power, and Oil & Gas. The company is headquartered in London, UK. As of April 2017, it directly and indirectly employs over 67,000 people with operations spanning across India, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Liberia, Ireland, and Australia.
More about the company here.
Vedanta launched the Phase 1 of the Workplace to all on-roll employees totalling over 13,000 people globally in early 2017. They became the first company globally to re-launch Workplace along with a custom bot.